Now, this dish isn't totally paleo as it contains dairy. You can easily remove the blue cheese if you choose but it should be ok if you are not that sensitive to lactose. This is quite a hefty dish, so it is good for supper.
Here's what we used:
lard-ons (substitute with bacon if you don't have it handy)
1 kg butternut squash pieces
1 cup pecan nuts, crushed (walnuts are good too!)
2 handsful grated blue cheese (cheddar or any mature one will do)
pinch of dried rosemary
hint of nutmeg
ghee or coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1. Melt the fat in a pan and place the lard-ons in. Brown.
2. Add in the onion and garlic and cook on low until onion is a bit translucent.
3. Drop in the squash pieces. Add a tablespoon or two of water to help it steam and cook on low/medium until soft.
4. Scatter in the nuts and the cheese. Mix.
5. Season with rosemary and nutmeg, and the pepper if using.
6. Taste. Shouldn't require salt as the cheese and lard-ons should be sufficient.